Upward Bound Math and Science Summer 2019 Residential Assistant
Upward Bound Math and Science is seeking current college students to serve as Resident Assistants with our program this summer. This is a great opportunity to gain experience, work with amazing youth and staff, and go on a fun trip out of state! The position is based out of Albuquerque this summer, with the Resident Assistants expected to live in the UNM dorms during the 4 weeks of June (room and board provided). We are paying $10-12/hour depending on experience for up to 7 weeks of employment (starting the last week of May).
Residential Assistants (RA) supervise student conduct and plan/implement student evening activities while living in university housing. RAs will also chaperone student groups on both in and out-of-state travel. The RA position for Upward Bound Math & Science is a temporary employment opportunity that will run for 4 - 6 weeks at the University of New Mexico from June 3rd - July 16th. During this time, RAs will work up to 40 hours/week and are expected to enagage in professional conduct as they will be working with high school students. RAs are encouraged to create and implement group activities, handle conflicts between students when necessary, help them follow program requirements and timelines, and work together with UBMS staff and other Residential Assistants to give students a high quality summer experience.
1. Be available to work 40 hours/week during the four week summer program (Monday-Friday)
2. Completed at least 30 credit hours at the college level, with a minimum 2.5 cumulative and semester GPA.
3. Be aware and sensitive to the needs of low-income, first-generation college-bound students from diverse populations (additional training at the beginning of the summer will be provided if necessary)
4. Be available to fill the position for at least a week of training May 28-31 and the first full four weeks of the summer program, June 3 – 28
5. Ability to live in the dorms on campus provided by our program
6. Have some previous experience or working knowledge of supervising students
7. Pass a pre-employment background check
Expectations:1. Supervise and engage with students
1. An RA meal plan for the duration of the summer program
2. A provided dorm room (RAs may be asked to share a room with another RA)
3. Compensation is $800-960 bi-weekly
4. Based on availability, RAs will have the opportunity to attend a summer trip out of state with the students – room, board, and travel costs will be covered by the program.
Term & Conditions of Appointment/Reappointment
1. The period of employment is for 4 - 6 weeks during the UBMS summer program at the University of New Mexico, including additional time at the beginning of the summer for training and two extra weeks in July upon availability
2. Pass a pre-employment background check
To apply, send a resume, unofficial college transcripts, and cover letter to UBMS Director Kurtis Griess at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also reach Kurtis at 505-274-4065 if you have questions about the position.